Practising skin tones, I saw a 55% coupon at Michael’s today, and got excited, I was able to save some money and buy a set of Copic Sketch markers, obviously I picked up the skin tones set. And got home and started to get to playing with them to see how to include them with my other mediums.
I went a little overboard on the reddish blush on the above left’s nose, and her eyebrows >.< but she’s still cute.
The one on the above right, was done using only Kuretake Clean color pens, and the one above left was used with a combination of Kuretake and Copic.
Hopefully I can use more coupons to build up my own Copic collection, or at least that’s what I plan to do.
Also the first three, I used my trust ballpoint pen for all the line work, and I have to admit, I am really preferring it to the liners I typically use. I did add the liners to bolder parts like their eyes, and lashes, but for the most part the ballpoint pen seems to keep the feel I want my stuff to have.
Ballpoint Pen, Copic Sketch Markers, Kuretake Clean Color Brush Pens, White Gel Pen, 0.1 mm Pigment Liner.
I did it! A finished version of that doodle from a while back. And I didn’t muck it up (unless you count the fact that I dropped a chunk of avocado on it). Now I just need to dig out my proper camera to get a good quality photo of it. I think I’ll have prints of her up in my Society6 shop soon.
0.1 mm Carbon Pen, Kuretake Brush Pens, Dr. Ph Martin’s White ink.
…which I seem to lack.
At least in regards to drying time.
I’ve been doing a couple of doodles of Jessica Rabbit (you know from “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”). A couple of the doodles
actually looked really nice, so I thought, hey why not churn out a quick portrait.
Here was one of the doodles, I started doing the linework, and rushing through it, I screwed up, on her boob no less. >.< I figured,
eh, let’s keep going, until I noticed that my impatience in regards to drying time caused her hair to bleed into her face, and not in the way you’d want it to. So a scrapped this, which is why parts are still not coloured in.
Here’s the second coloured doodle. this time, the lines came out perfectly. Until of course, I moved my hand in such a way that I smeared it. Still wanting to continue, I began colouring her in. Unfortunately, my impatience won again, and this time her dress was bleeding into her chest…
There is something to be learned here.
1) I need to invest in masking fluid.
2) I need to add a hair dryer to my colouring kit to help curb my mess ups in regards to drying time.
Lessons learned, I’m going to attempt her again, but maybe tomorrow or in a few days (depending on when I get said masking fluid). Hopefully you learn from my screw-ups.
Kuretake Brush Pens, 0.5 mm Pigment Liner, and water.
More doodles coloured in. This time featuring a freckled red-head and a dark haired
Left: Sketch and Right: Colours
For the top lady, I think I prefer the sketch better, it’s less obvious that her eyes are slightly askew, but the red-head on the bottom
looks much better in colour, her hair turn out nicely.
0.5mm Black Ball Point and Paint Tool Sai.