WIPs, and Manila Envelopes

image

Original sketch.

I always end up with lots of loose pages in my sketchbooks, since I pull out pages, trace patterns, etc, so I’ve taken to adding a manila folder glued to the back cover to hold them. I looked at it and thought, “Damn, that’s one boring envelope..” so I started doodling on it.

image

Up Close with my dead pigment liner.

So, in my opinion, my main art weaknesses are perspective, architecture, buildings, landscapes, and text. My calligraphy could use some practice as well, despite what you may think there are a lot of flaws with these, particularly pertaining to decorative flourishes.

image

Despite those troubles, I think it’s fairly decent for a plain old envelope text design. It’s not perfectly symmetrical like I wanted, but I’ve only figured that out by using Illustrator. Seeing as I have little desire to bust out the digital software lately, I think this was pretty good at a first attempt (in 5+ years) at doing it by hand.

Also, both my remaining pigment liners died while filling in the X, so there won’t be any improvement on this until I can afford some new ones. Yes, I have Speedball India Ink, and fountain style nibs, but I hate using them on certain types of paper due to their bleeding behaviour, so I will stick to pigment liners for now.

image

Suprise! You get a photo of some jersey fabrics, I bought recently.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s